Having a hyper child can be a blessing and a real problem. Unfortunately, some kids go over the top. Caregivers and teachers are the most hit, since kids spend the most time at school. Can there be any remedy? Are there ways to calm a hyperactive kid? In this article, we will consider a few ways to combat the traits.
What is the Meaning of Hyper?
Hyperactive is a synonym for hyper, which means to be extremely excited or active. It can also be described as a state of being abnormally active. These traits can help one get things done swiftly. Someone who is hyper is considered to be a fast learner. With this advantage, intricate and complex things can be learned quickly. This individual can perform tasks in record-breaking time.
However, when it is a child that has these traits, it becomes a liability instead of a blessing. A child’s hyperactive behavior could pose a huge risk to a child’s cognitive reasoning. It might serve as a hindrance to the child’s mental development.
Common Characteristics of a Hyperactive Child
A hyperactive child will not have the will power to sit in a place and take informal education. He or she unwittingly gets distracted at every opportunity. As a result of constant movement, a child who is inattentive could:
· Find it difficult staying put in tasks and play.
· Appear not to listen, even when talked to.
· Experience trouble while trying to organize tasks and duties.
· Make careless mistakes as a result of not paying attention to details.
· Forget to do chores.
· Get distracted.
· Hate any task that will require him or her to sit in place.
· Feel nervous.
· Exude aggressive behaviour.
· Have impulsive behaviour.
What could lead to such a severe health condition? Here are just a few reasons.
What Causes Hyperactivity
Mental or physical conditions can trigger hyperactivity. Medical conditions that could affect the thyroid or the central nervous system can lead to hyperactivity. The common causes include:
· Brain disorders
· Nervous system disorder
· Psychological disorders
· ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive disorder)
Sometimes, patients with ADHD may be diagnosed when they are already adults, many are usually diagnosed at an early age as a child.
If your child or anyone is seen with symptoms of hyperactivity, the best and safest thing to do is speak with a doctor. Doctors will help to ascertain if it is as a result of new or existing conditions. If it is a result of the side effects of medications or hormonal imbalance.
How to Calm Down Hyper Kids Naturally
1. Help them practice relaxation.
2. Before a big task comes up, allow the child time to play.
3. Be consistent and patient.
4. Break down some house chores with activities.
5. Follow instructions of health personnel.
6. Gradually form a habit.
There are few ways to treat hyperactive kids, it includes:
1. Therapy. There are two types of therapy provided for hyper kids – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Talk Therapy. CBT is used to change the line of thinking and behavior of hyper kids while Talk therapy is a discussion between the patient and the therapist. Suggestions are then given to help the patients.
2. Medications. Medications prescribed by a medical doctor have a calming effect. Caffeine and nicotine should be avoided.
Prevention of Hyperactivity in Kids
· Pregnant women should refrain from anything that could interfere with the development of the unborn child like the use of recreational drugs, alcohol, and smoking of cigarettes.
· Parents should shield little children from pollutants and toxins such as led paint or third party smoke.
These few tips will surely go a long way to provide relief as suggestions are being applied. Depending on the level and the cause, it can be treated swiftly or managed properly.